Before the introduction of the MULS-P2 standard, the Kehei was classified as an "Advanced Wanzer". Boasting above average offensive capabilities, prototypes of it were seen on the battlefield during a Japanese coup d'etat in 2112. Despite their impressive combat potential, the early Kehei models were high-powered machines with complete disregard to mass-productivity. Shanghai Steel's design philosophy with its flagship wanzer line wavered greatly during the Kehei's early stages. By 2171 however, the company managed to strike a good balance between cost and performance, making them more effective in combat. When the MULS-P2 standard was formed, militaries around the world, particularly the O.C.U., began importing Kehei models.
By Front Mission Evolved, Shanghai Steel created a few specialized Kehei models that were used by the Changli Army and Rapid Reaction Force. For example, the Kehei 35 used by Yung-Tae Hwang is a lightweight, high mobility model that emphasizes fast strike capabilities. The laser cannons mounted on the back of the original Kehei 0 earlier were reported to be still in use for sniper-type Kehei models, but it is not seen in the game. All in all, the Kehei model is very versatile, and thus can be deployed as various roles, ranging from close range combat to long range support.
- The Imaginary Numbers (Front Mission 3)
- D.H.Z. Changli Army (Front Mission Evolved)
- D.H.Z. Rapid Reaction Force (Front Mission Evolved)
- Kehei 0 (Front Mission 3)
- Kehei (Front Mission Evolved)
- Kehei 4 (Front Mission 3)
- Kehei 35 (Front Mission Evolved)
- Lukav Minaev (Kehei 0), Front Mission 3
- Jared Bogdanof (Kehei 4), Front Mission 3
- Yung-Tae Hwang (Kehei 35), Front Mission Evolved
- Although initially an enemy wanzer, by Front Mission Evolved, the Kehei received a reputation as the "D.H.Z. counterpart" to the O.C.U.'s Zenith and the U.S.N.'s Frost. This marks the first time in the series that a prototype wanzer was transformed into a mass-produced and marketable line.
- In the English-Version of Front Mission 3, the Kehei 4 is incorrectly designated as the "Kexi 1".